Sunday, May 24, 2009

First Summer Term in the Ateneo

My first summer term in the Ateneo has served its purpose. It kept me busy during the summer consequently, giving me a productive summer.

During this term, I had my first encounter with the field of Psychology. Before the start of summer term, my mother actually gave me an introduction to this field. Her introduction seemed really diminutive. However, I was surprised to realize that, her introduction was enough to serve as a preview and a review to the course. "Psychology will help you know yourself better".

In the course, we were required to submit a scrap book about ourselves.
The project aimed to record our own personal growth specifically on a psychological perspective. Questions were given to help facilitate the development of the project. Creativity was highly required because, in a way, probably aside from the element of organization, it served as a basis for the identification of procrastination. In fact, days before the deadline, our teacher emphasized to us that she was once a student and that she knew the so-called art of procrastination a.k.a. cramming. She warned us that cramming could certainly fail us. By this she meant that once she identified our project as a product of procrastination, she would automatically fail us in the project. However despite her warnings, cramming my project never discouraged me from giving it my best. Besides, I never intended to cram it. Our LeaPs Planning Seminar did not go as scheduled. We arrived Sunday evening contrary to the planned arrival of noon. Nevertheless, I finished my project.

While cramming my project, I obviously could not explore my development through my writings. However, after finally passing it and finally recuperating on my lack of sleep, I finally meditated on the compositions in my project. Indeed, I succeeded in knowing myself better.

Animes began my interest in Japan and eventually its language, Nihonggo. During the summer term, for my Foreign Language, I chose to study Nihonggo or JSP 1. Aside from memorizing the many translations, the Hiragana and Katakana alphabet and Kanji symbols, Nihonggo is not difficult. If you are comfortable with memorization, Nihonggo would not be much of a problem. The grammar is claimed to be relatively easy compared to other languages. Furthermore, there are no required pronouncations when speaking. My blockmate, who is also taking JSP 1, and I even think that Nihonggo is a pa-cute language. In fact, my teacher, in a way, supported our claim when she told us that japanese women must speak with a squeaky tone to sound well. Nevertheless, I am still determined to know Nihonggo better. I plan to constantly keep myself exposed to it.

Aside from school, I myself made my summer productive. I was constantly raising myself to be a better friend, son, brother, student and man. I always pondered on the many ways by which I could further improve myself.

Fitting it is to unintentionally reunite myself after the term with Nelson Mandela's quote that was also featured in a favorite movie of mine, "Coach Carter". Tweaking the quote a bit...

"Nothing is more important to me than letting my own light shine, shine brighter, to liberate me from my fears and more importantly, to liberate others."

-Judaz™

No comments:

Post a Comment