Thursday, May 28, 2009

LeaPs Assistant Secretary of Archives

Just like any other school day, I walked into my Mathematical Analysis 1 (also called Math 21) subject. As I was about to sit on my chair, my block-mate, Irwin Amago, handed me a letter. He amusingly threatened me that the letter was a letter for suspension. Well, hardly was I affected. Then, I read the letter. It was a letter requesting me to take over as the Assistant Secretary of Archives of the League of Physicists (LeaPs).

LeaPs is the home organization of Physics Majors in the Ateneo. I joined the organization during the annual Recruitment Week for all Ateneo organizations last June. The organization fulfilled my expectations that it will change the face of Physics as a boring and difficult subject by fostering a home where all of us can simply enjoy the company of Physics. We, as an org (short for organization), would occasionally meet to form amusing fun-filled Physics activities, like our Real-Physics-Game (RPG),
for other students of the Ateneo. During our first general assembly, we actually held a mini-RPG. In this game, students race through a chain of challenges that require Physics wit to trounce.

Physics has always been portrayed as a field of applied mathematics wherein one solves endless Math problems that all seem vague and one analyzes a certain phenomenon profoundly that barely anyone would understand. Activities held by LeaPs aims to change this view of Physics. For example, through the RPG, the image of Physics that one requires complex mathematics to solve problems is altered to form a new image portraying that Physics can be found in one's everyday life. From requiring Integrals or graphs, its image is altered to fit that which displays it only requiring common sense. Consequently, Physics' purpose for everyday life is exhibited.

Engaging in such activities excited me in trying to always attend the different activities of the organization. Of course, the officers of the org were pleased.Then came the elections for the organizations new officers. Aside from being a freshman, being too busy with my studies certainly discourages me from engaging in extra-curricular activities that would require a portion of my study time. So, of course, I did not bother running or even thinking about running for an office. In fact, only a few ran for the different offices that not all had any candidates. To address this, after the new officers were inducted, they had to invite some of the organization's members to be an officer. Probably almost always being present in the activities urged them to invite me into being the Assistant Secretary of Archives. Obviously, my constant attendance was not related to the job description. When I read the letter, I initially wanted to deny it. Well, the decision of denying it stayed with me for about 5 minutes? Then I decided to accept it. I knew it would be a great experience. Besides, it is not everyday that anyone gets simply invited in being an officer. In a way, this leadership experience is free considering that others had to work for it by running for it.

Indeed, I did not regret it. So far, I have already gained a lot of experience
being only in my second month as LeaPs Assistant Secretary of Archives. (I'll have separate blogs for the different activities)

-Judaz™



No comments:

Post a Comment