Sunday, May 24, 2009

2009 Eastern Conference Finals

Charles Barkely favors the Orlando Magic over the Cleveland Cavaliers. Reviewing the player match-ups of this series, I certainly agree with the Olympic Gold Medalist.

Cleveland swept the Pistons, my old time favorite. They soared higher than the brute strengthened Hawks. Certainly an unbelievable feat by the Cavaliers considering their overrated roster. I admit that I was deceived by their win-column.

Cleveland's sweep of the Pistons was not really a surprise to me. The Pistons became a whole new different team immediately after losing Billups. I expected something new to the team after Iverson joined them. Unfortunately, that "something new" to me was not going to be good. And indeed, the Pistons' season and playoff performance fulfilled my expectations. They will certainly be busy this Offseason.

Cleveland's sweep of the Hawks was, as I said, unbelievable. I did expect the Cavaliers to defeat them. But never did I expect them to sweep the battle-tested Hawks. To me, only teamwork could accomplish this amazing feat. One-on-one plays would destroy the Cavs when facing the long, athletic and powerful bodies of the Hawks. Furthermore, a frontline of Bibby and Johnson poses outside threats to their opponents. In the inside, I still consider the Cavaliers a very finesse team compared to the Hawks whose toughness is well demonstrated by numerous "extra-curricular" activities against the Celtics and the Heat. Considering all of these, the Cavaliers were nothing short of amazing. I could not imagine them matching the toughness of the Hawks in the paint especially hardly triggering "extra-curricular" activities throughout their series. Also, their small frontline of West and Williams stood firm against Bibby and Johnson. Furthermore, James remained relentless against the numerous switches by the Hawks and tenacious defense of Smith.

Now, they face the Orlando Magic. Again, I agree, considering the match-ups, to Charles Barkely's opinon. But if teamwork really wins championships, I trust the better teamwork between both squads will earn the trip to the NBA Finals. Bottomline, LeBron should get the rest of the team going offensively to match the balanced offense of the Magic. As for the Magic, they should learn to win without the arc. Low-post match-ups with Lewis and Turkoglu and Howard's brute strength in the paint should primarily be utilized. Otherwise, we could see a team similar to the 2006-2007 Warriors. They defeated the Mavericks with their unstoppable three-point shooting but hardly stood a chance in the next round against the Jazz. Always shooting 25-footers will wear you down.

Unfortunately for Cavalier fans, Charles Barkely sides with your team's current opponent, the Orlando Magic. Fortunately, the Cavs are facing them because, in my opinion, if they do defeat the Magic, their self-confidence and their chances to win in the Finals will increase irregardless of who they will face.

Think about a knight defeating a wizard then facing Nuggets?? and Lakers?? :D

-Judaz™

No comments:

Post a Comment